SHOUT (Self Help Organisations United Together) was established in 1981, during the International Year of the Disabled. SHOUT Inc brings together self help groups who are made up of people who share the same problem, concern or life experience.
At the heart of self help is the belief that, given resources, information, skills and support everybody has the right and capability to manage their own lives in ways that best suit them. The majority of self help groups struggle to survive, particularly as resources become scarcer. SHOUT promotes cooperation and a sense of unity, so that member organisations can continue to function effectively. In this way a positive and empowering message is conveyed to all of SHOUT's clients.
The SHOUT office provides:
- A point of contact for clients and member organisations
- A referral point for the general public
- An information and resource centre
- To provide a multi-service resource centre for self help and support groups, and for individuals and families seeking to establish new groups to meet their needs
- To promote the philosophy and practice of self help throughout the ACT by fostering empowerment among self help and support groups